Friday, December 20, 2013

We Wish You A Wild Xmas


I'm probably outta here 'til sometime in January. Thanks to all my wonderful readers and contributors. You-all make it happen.

Reader Eric writes to us to requesting what sounds like a pretty amazing bit of Christmas darkness and sick humor, Noah Quisenberry's "Daddy Came Home On Christmas," in which a boy murders his sexually abusive father. It's the merriest Christmas ever!  I don't have it. Anyone? Snippets of it can be hear in the last minute or so of this vid, from a series about outsider music that we've covered here before.  This one's an all-xmas special.

As long as we're searching for lost records, Brian from AZ is desperately seeking the b-side to that lovable old coot Walter Brennan's "Space Mice," called "Thievin' Stranger," another one I don't have. See folks, I really don't have every weird record ever made.  Not even close. Make their Christmas wishes come true!

Someone who does have a lot of strange/bad/outsider/unusual Christmas record is Bomarr, who's back with his latest collection:

"Wild Xmas Vol. 8"

featuring goodies like a Rodd Keith (under the name Rodd Rogers) song-poem, R. Stevie Moore, a Brazilian nugget from Caetano Veloso, the video-game bloopiness of 8-Bit Synthtown, and some Staxx soul from Carla Thomas. 

 And I had to put my nomination for the Worst Christmas Record back on-line, just because.

Need a last-minte gift suggestion? Darryl Bullock's book "The World's Worst Records," from the stellar blog of the same name. Get a 16-song download wth it, too.  I'm gonna sit on Santa's lap and ask for a copy. Or at least I'll try, until security rousts me out again. DAMN them. 

And nothing says "Christmas spirit" like sappy music from an irate right-wing talk-radio host: Glenn Beck's "Believe Again."  He claims it will have you dancing and crying at the same time.  Isn't that what goths and Morrisey fans do?

3 comments:

Tim from Radio Clash said...

OMG That Worst Xmas Records....speechless...

It's like 'screw the people on the bus - yay Daddy's here!' - err...

And I love Daryl's World's Worst Record blog, made of win!

And long time no hear for Bomarr...

Tim from Radio Clash said...

That Bomarr site is a treasure trove of Xmas music! Some I recognise as stuff I used on my Bah Humbug CDs - we must go to some of the same places - some I don't...

Every year on the podcast I say 'never again' for Xmas music. But looks like next year I'll have a load more Christmas Crap to play!

Darryl W. Bullock said...

Thank you for the kind words and the sweet plug Mr Fab - and for the music, of course. Have a brilliant Christmas!